October 20, 2012

Dinosaur Costume

I thought it would be fun to sew a dinosaur costume for our dog so that we would have a "real live" dinosaur at my son's first birthday party.  Even though our dog was not too happy about the situation, she did wear the costume the whole day.

I already had green fabric and so I just measured out a large oval and made sure to leave room for the tail.  I cut slits for the green felt by using the idea from Martha Stewart (dinosaur pattern).  I used my own measurements to fit our dog.  Then I cut out the green spikes and fit them through the slits in the fabric.  I sewed a line down the middle to make sure that the felt wouldn't move.  For the tail, I stuffed it and sewed it shut.  I hot glued the slits where the felt was poking through so that the stuffing would not fall out of the tail.  For the straps, I sewed rectangles and added Velcro to make sure the costume would stay on.




The hardest part was getting our dog to stay still to get a good picture.  Of course at the end of the day, she was worn out and was tired of wearing the green costume.  The costume also fit my 1 year old.  It was pretty funny because both he and the dog seemed pretty confused about why a green tail was following them every time they moved.


In order for Nate to wear the costume for Halloween, I sewed a green fleece hat with spikes and also some green mittens.  Nate refused the wear the mittens and would take them off immediately.  He wasn't a fan of the hat either, but I was able to distract him long enough to take some pictures.




1 comment: