October 26, 2012

Dinosaur Birthday Party

For my son's first birthday, my husband wanted to use a dinosaur theme since dinosaurs were his favorite when he was little.  At Hobby Lobby, I found dinosaur 12 x 12 scrapbook papers with dinosaurs and used those for inspiration.  A few weeks later, I actually found the same pattern in the fabric section so everything matched.  First I made the invitations and birthday banner. 



On the banner, I cut out the dinosaurs individually and glued one on about every other letter.


I also cut out individual dinosaurs and taped them onto tooth picks for the cupcake toppers.



There were white cake pops and green cake pops that were supposed to look like dinosaur eggs.  Not sure if they really did, but I thought the idea was cute.  I wrapped up about half of them and added thank you tags for the guests.  They were definitely a hit at the party!



I wanted my son to have a birthday shirt and matching hat so I used the dinosaur fabric that I found.  It was easy to sew the number one on the shirt and for the hat, I glued the fabric onto cardboard and added ribbon and elastic.  I think they turned out pretty cute.  Of course, my son was not the biggest fan of the hat but he kept it on long enough for pictures.




There was a "real" dinosaur at the party played by our dog.  She was such a good sport to wear the costume all day long.  It was just a simple costume with green fabric and felt for the spikes.  Of course it doubles as a costume for my son too since both he and the dog can fit into the costume.



I had a lot of fun making the crafts and sweets for the party.  Next year when he turns two, he will be able to tell me what he likes and what the theme will be.  I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment